Student Life Team

In term time, all University services operate in person on campus as well as remotely.

We hope that this gives you flexibility to engage with our services in a way which is convenient and which feels comfortable for you. Advisers can be accessed as usual through email, telephone and appointment (in person or via MS Teams). Our on-campus Student Centre is fully operational and the team of Student Life Advisers are available Monday to Thursday, 8.45am–5.15pm and Friday, 8.45am–4.45pm.

If you have any queries, you can contact the Student Centre. Their contact details can be found on the Get in Touch page.

Updates to our Service Delivery

Our aim is that to ensure that services are available to you wherever you are currently living. However, if you are living outside of the United Kingdom (UK), there may be some limitations to how you can access university mental health services remotely. These are outlined below. Please note that support will be offered during UK working hours only (9.00am–5.00pm Monday to Friday). If time differences make it difficult to arrange direct contact, advice will be offered remotely via email and online delivery of information.

What we can offer:

  • General wellbeing advice and guidance within office hours — Students can make appointments through our  system. 
  • Advice on University policies and procedures such as academic regulations, extenuating circumstance and applying for extra time for assessment.
  • Discussion of support arrangements and reasonable adjustments for students with disabilities — Students can make appointments through our  system. 
  • The university counselling service can offer up to six counselling sessions in an academic year. Counselling will be delivered via Microsoft Teams appointments
  • Remote help with time management, workload management and extenuating circumstances
  • Access to online workshops and self-help resources eg. SilverCloud, The Hub and Brightspace.
  • Information about local and general international healthcare services. Please note we are unable to liaise directly with local support or health services on your behalf if you are abroad, but we can explore support options with you.

What we cannot provide:

Mental Health crisis or urgent support — If you are in need of urgent medical or mental health care, please contact your local Doctor or healthcare provider. University staff will provide information where possible, however they may not hold up to date information or have knowledge of the relevant services for all countries and therefore we recommend speaking with your local Doctor or healthcare provider in the first instance.

Through the academic year we continue to offer online appointments as well as in person meetings and support. Please see our page about  for more information about how to connect with the team.  

We can offer online screening for Specific Learning Difficulties (SpLD) and diagnostic assessments can be delivered both online and in person. 

More information about the assessment process for Apprenticeship, Undergraduate and Postgraduate students can be found on Brightspace 

Some students receive study support as part of a reasonable adjustment agreement. Sometimes this support is referred to ‘non-medical help’, which is a term that is particularly used in the Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) process.  

Types of study support could include: 

  • Specialist study skills for specific learning difficulties or autism  
  • Specialist mentoring for mental health conditions or autism  
  • Practical campus assistance 
  • General study assistance  
  • Note-taking  

University staff or a separate external supplier may be your provider of ‘non-medical help’. You can find out who delivers your study support by checking one of the following:  

  • Disabled Students Allowance (DSA) letter 2. 
  • Needs Assessment Report – completed as part of the DSA process. 
  • Reasonable Adjustment Agreement. 

If in doubt speak to a Disability Adviser. 

The University’s position on the delivery of study support (or non-medical help) on campus  

The campus is open and whilst we want to offer you a full campus experience, we also want to offer you flexibility. If there is a disability-related reason that support cannot be delivered remotely, please contact a  to discuss your needs and explore alternative arrangements, such as face-to-face on campus support. You can telephone 01473 338833 to make an appointment or email:  

The University may need to undertake a further risk assessment or identify adjustments with your course team.  

What happens if I receive services from an external DSA supplier?  

Your external supplier will contact you to explain how they intend to deliver support over the academic year. The University does not have control over the decisions or processes of external suppliers. If you have a query or concern, please raise this directly with your supplier. If you feel unable to do this, you can also speak to a Disability Adviser for information and advice.   

We would like to remind you of our online support services and advice for keeping well and ways to connect with others:

Here are some top tips from the .

If you want to explore and learn more about strategies for wellbeing, check out our Wisdom App, your guide to health and mental wellbeing.  

Our Student Assistance Programme (SAP) offers 24/7 counselling helpline for in the moment support from trained counsellors and other practitioners; the support also includes: legal, debt and tenancy advice, supported access to SilverCloud Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) Programmes, services offered in multiple languages and out of country support. 

If you are in need of urgent medical or mental health support, please contact emergency services by dialling 999 or call NHS 111.

If you have urgent accommodation needs, see information about and how to contact your local borough council.

You can also:

  • Text SHOUT to 85258 for text support with a trained volunteer
  • Call the  Freephone number on 116 123 for mental health support
  • Call the NHS first response line 0808 196 3494 to access immediate advice, support and signposting for people experiencing mental health difficulties or to speak with a mental health professional.

Student Life Staff

Chantalle Hawley

Chantalle joined the University at its inception聽in 2007, and now works as Assistant Director of Student Life.

Izabela Hutchins

Izabela is Head of Student Life.